Sunday, May 11, 2014

LCHF Chronicles - Day 5

Something's not right

Today was a bad day.

I woke up at 7:20 feeling fine. My body is sore from yesterday's workout; but I feel ok otherwise. I don't feel hungry at all, so I don't eat breakfast. This is despite a very light dinner the night before.

Just before noon, all hell breaks loose. All my muscles go into severe fatigue, my mind is losing focus, my body starts to shiver. I think my body is shutting down from lack of carbs, fat, whatever. I eat a big bowl of fatty pork, shrimp, and pork broth (thanks Ma!). The shivers start to slowly go away. Finally, I need to lay down. I fall asleep and nap for almost 2 hours.

Later that day

Felt slightly better after the nap. I'm still tired; but the shivers have gone away. I feel better and better as the day goes on. My best guess is that I just didn't eat enough fat.

I drink half a carton of heavy whipping cream, eat some slices of cheese, and about 20 slices of salami in the afternoon. I'm still very sluggish, but I managed to go with the kids to the museum. By the evening, I am feeling 100% with energy again.

Mother's Day


Today is also Mother's Day. Did you know that Mother's Day is also Wive's Day? Yes, it is!

I went out with Bao for dinner in hip and swanky Portland, OR. I let loose with the Keto diet a bit tonight. I had a salad with onions, cherry tomatoes, and fish sauce that was likely sweetened with sugar. It was absolute bliss after 4 1/2 days of strict keto. We didn't stop there. We visited a dessert bar called Pix after dinner. I ordered a cup of "hot chocolate" which I checked to ensure it had a high cocoa mix (over 70% is best for keto). I usually don't like dark chocolate, but since I've been on keto, everything that wasn't sweet enough before is now perfectly sweet.

I checked my ketone levels that evening with keto sticks. I had dropped two shades of color, but I am still slightly above trace levels of ketones. I'll check again in the morning.

Went to bed tired, but feeling happy and fine.

Workouts

My body is not recovering from gym workouts as well as before keto. I've been doing the same routine, 3 days a week for over 6 weeks before keto. I am very familiar with how my body reacts after a workout. After 3 days of keto, I go to the gym for the same routine. My body tires much quicker in the gym. After workout, my body stays tired. The next days, my muscles are much more sore than usual and I am fatigued for most of the day. I'll have to read more into this.

My goal of keto is to have MORE energy for workouts, not less. I don't care about weight loss. In fact, I want to gain 10 lbs. If keto works against my workout, I'll have to reconsider this whole thing.

No comments: