I was given plenty of warning (advice) about parents who are just really over zealous with advice-giving once they find out I'm pregnant. So far, it hasn't been too bad! There are several things that bug me when it comes to people's reactions to pregnancy, childbirth and parenting, though. And don't even get me started about the lame things people have said to me after we lost Penelope!! I've compiled them in this top 10 list below. Honestly, it was really hard to rank them. They're all kind of equally frustrating to me. Anyway, here they are:
Top 10 baby-related things that irk me (and there are a lot of things)
10. When people call being pregnant "preggo" or "preggers." C'mon, pregnant is only 2 syllables. (Okay, this actually doesn't bug me that bad. Hence it being #10.)
9. When women advise me to "only gain between 15 to 25 pounds in pregnancy because that way baby will be smaller and easier to push out." Yes, and you're guaranteed to enjoy sex more after pushing out a 5 pound baby as opposed to a 7-pounder. Ironically, this advice is (1) never given to me by women who seem to enjoy their sex lives (you know who you are) and (2) usually given by women who end up with some sort of analgesia/anesthesia for birth anyway. I dunno about you, but this kind of advice sounds terribly selfish to me. I get it that you shouldn't gain excessive weight...but for the sole reason of birthing ease? C'mon...
8. When another mom observes what you do with your kid and then say, "Oh, that's how you do it? Interesting..." You know what? You can leave.
7. When baby smiles and people say, "Oh, it's just gas!" Okay, you know what? You can leave. Because if it's at all genetic, my baby's gas is going to not be so pleasant for you.
6. When I tell people what we're hoping to do when baby arrives and they say, "Wow! Okay, we'll see how that goes and how many days that'll last before you quit!" Yes, we will, Captain Optimist. Jerk.
5. When I mention that we will be trying out the cloth diapering route, I get all sorts of responses. Mostly, "Good for you" with the reactional undertone of "Eww, gross." What irks me is when people cite their friends' experiences with diaper rashes and how baby has to sit in pee and poop when using reusables. So...your disposable-diapered babies never had diaper rashes? And when they did, did you rush out to get cloth diapers? But, I appreciate your valiant effort in crusading for the destruction of the planet.
4. When the nurse tells a laboring or postpartum woman, "Nobody is going to give you a medal of honor for doing it all natural and being brave." No, really? And here I am with the display case ALL ready!
3. When L&D nurses roll their eyes at women who've prepared birth plans. "They're just bound for a c-section," they'd often say. I'd like to c-section you if you keep rolling your eyes!
2. When people look down on moms who can't successfully breastfeed. I don't know from experience...but I'm pretty sure it's tough work. Shame on you for thinking that way!!
1. When people are competitive about their children's or grandchildren's developmental prowess. It's never so overt that they could be called on it. But we've all seen it, haven't we? I recently put in a bid with God for "smartest baby in the world" and "fastest crawler at 5 months while sleeping through the night while preparing own meal while potty trained while mastering quantum physics." We'll see how that goes. And then I'd like to see you weep. God REALLY likes me, believe it or not.Did you find yourself in any of the above rants? If you did, it's okay. I still love you.
Now let's hear from YOU! What ticks you?
4 comments:
Hey Roomie,
I'm loving reading your posts, THANK YOU for posting them and for being so honest about what you're thinking and going through. I love how honest and blunt you are, it's one of my favorite things about you!
My best friend, Kendra, has had two home births and two children raised holistically, with cloth diapers... Her youngest is about 9 months now, and she has some cloth diapers for sale, which she made herself. Let me know if you would be interested in some of them, or if you would like to get in touch with her for any questions about raising a healthy baby with natural birth, natural breastfeeding, or whatever else has the word "natural" around it!
As for diapers, here's something that might interest you, although it sounds like you might already be set! I have a friend at work who mentioned cloth diapers, and I queried my friend Kendra on the subject:
My friend Kendra got back to me about selling the cloth diapers (that she made) that her son Gavan has grown out of. Below is a link to pictures of the diapers, and below that is an excerpt from our conversation where she talks about $$.
http://picasaweb.google.com/mhooncoatney/Diapers#
Kendra: They are used...so the ones I made will be $8/each for all cloth, $10/each for AIO and $12 for embroidered. $15 for matching diaper and shirt.
They are good up to 12 lbs.
me: what is AIO?
Kendra: All in one full water proof
Bao: If you are interested, let me know what you’d like, how many, and I’ll arrange to pick them up for you before you need them. :o)
I'm so excited for you and Chin, and so grateful for the blog that you're posting. You guys are amazing. Keep chugging along, and let me know what I can do for you both (all three!)...
Love you,
Erin
I completely agree with #10 - I'm okay with "knocked up" but "preggo" and "preggers" make me want to claw someone's eyes out.
Not being (or having been) pregnant, I haven't heard the others enough to be annoyed.
What irks me is when people who have not had children give advice as if they know what's best, and then when it's their turn to have kids, they do exactly what they said NOT to do... grr! hypocrites!
Ah, how come I just found out that you guys have a blog... I thought I was your best friend!!! Okay, I'm over it. I read these spicy tidbits over my sandwich lunch at Pui Ching. It was a nice little breather from preparing conversation lesson plans. Although I haven't given you any advice about pregnancy... I can tell you that using cloth diapers and then soaking them in bleach makes your house stink... a LOT. Especially if you keep them in enclosed space like the bathroom. But it's worth the suffering to save the planet, I guess....
Praying for you guys in all aspects.
Post a Comment