Last Christmas by Wham!
Another version of this song that I really dig is the cover performed by Jimmy Eat World.
Last Christmas cover by Jimmy Eat World
Honestly, I used to hate this song. Have you actually listened to the lyrics? So painful and bitter! Completely the opposite of what Christmas is meant to be. But the real reason I like this song is that Chin actually likes these cheesy songs. And even though it's not available on YouTube, my favorite version of the song is performed by my husband when he's dancing around with abandon in the living room while our children watch on with a "Wow that's very interesting, BaBa" gaze.
Thirteen years ago around this time, Chin and I both started developing romantic feelings for each other. We were friends before this and were co-leading a Bible study together in Seward Hall with InterVarsity at UPS. That Christmas break, I found that I missed Chin a lot. I called him up and asked him to drive me to Woodburn to return a scarf I'd purchased from Eddie Bauer. So he drove all the way from Longview to pick me up and drive me to Woodburn. I didn't think about it back then, but dang, that was a long drive! We continued to spend a ton of time together because it was just fun to be together.
Thirteen years later, that is still true!
We are taking a little 13-hour break from the children and doing a little getaway in downtown Seattle later today, courtesy of some very generous friends. I'm really looking forward to this. What began as a very special friendship continues to be special and I am glad that we prioritize to cultivate that relationship over most things.
![]() |
| Spring 2000 |

2 comments:
That is a long drive! Did you really have a scarf to return? That's a fun story!
I did. It was a black fleece scarf that totally didn't match my navy blue fleece mittens. I didn't know what I was thinking buying that scarf in the first place!
Post a Comment