Sunday, December 23, 2012

Xmas countdown: Day 10

I can't believe it's almost Christmas!! Just a couple of days to go.

That means I'm down to 3 songs left...and it's getting tougher and tougher to choose. So today, I'm going to pick 3 songs. Because it's my blog and I can do whatever I want.

Song 1: Christmas is All in the Heart by Steven Curtis Chapman... I first heard this song the day after Thanksgiving one year in high school. At the time, it just seemed really strange to me that there could be people who are lonely at Christmas time. Growing up in the Vietnamese church, Christmas meant putting on a Christmas program. Program. Program. Program. I don't know what this whole "all in the heart" business is all about but I was pretty sure Christmas was all about having the best choir and matching outfits.

Song 2: Strange Way to Save the World... Okay, I can't say that this is one of my favorite songs. I just heard it while driving home a couple of days ago. I think this song has pretty strong Western influence in that it basically says, "Well, I woulda done things differently. But, you know, whatevs God." What it does show, though, is that God doesn't do things the conventional way. He doesn't do what we expect Him to do...but He is really smart that way.

Song 3: Welcome to Our [effed up] World... I first heard this song a few years ago when a soloist sang it at a women's luncheon at our old church. It touched me right away. The first couple of lines grabbed me right away. It wasn't the dark times 2000 years ago that they longed for a Savior. He is welcomed in our messed up world today.

I love this season of advent. Waiting for Christmas. It'll be here soon. We're so messed up...and we are longing for the King who is arriving and who is already ever so present.

Christmas is All in the Heart

In a one bedroom apartment on the humble side of town
There stands a little Christmas tree, looks a lot like Charlie Brown's
And underneath there's one little gift for him and one little gift for her
After six months on the new job, they're still barely getting by
So in the way of decorations, there's nothing there to catch your eye
But both of them would be the first to say
We're together, we're gonna have the merriest Christmas anyway

'Cause Christmas is all in the heart, that's where the feeling starts
And like a fire inside, it touches every part
'Cause Christmas is all in the heart
And even if no white snow falls, that's all right because
The joy can still be found, wherever you are
'Cause Christmas is all, all in the heart

Two little blonde haired boys with big dreams, tried to sleep but sleep wouldn't come
We'd be tearing into presents, long before the break of dawn
With Mom and Dad and cameras making sure we'd never forget that day
Now I'm the one who's taking pictures, in the middle of the night
Of my own blonde headed dreamers that just can't wait until daylight

And in my sleepy eyes the spark still glows
Well I guess there's just some things a kid never outgrows

No, it's not in the snow that may or may not fall
And it's not in the gifts around the tree
It's in the love heaven gave, the night our Savior came
And that same love can still be found wherever you are
'Cause Christmas is all in the heart
And the joy can still be found, wherever you are
'Cause Christmas is all, all in the heart
It's all in the heart

Strange Way to Save The World

Sure he must have been surprised
At where this road had taken him
'Cause never in a million lives
Would he had dreamed of Bethlehem
And standing at the manger
He saw with his own eyes
The message from the angel come to life
And Joseph said...

Why me, I'm just a simple man of trade
Why Him, with all the rulers in the world
Why here inside this stable filled with hay
Why her, she's just an ordinary girl
Now I'm not one to second guess what angels have to say
But this is such a strange way to save the world

To think of how it could have been
If Jesus had come as He deserved
There would have been no Bethlehem
No lowly shepherds at His birth
But Joseph knew the reason
Love had to reach so far
And as he held the Savior in his arms
He must have thought...

Now I'm not one to second guess what angels have to say
But this is such a strange way to save the world
...this is such a strange way to save the world...Saving the World

Welcome to Our World

Tears are falling, hearts are breaking
How we need to hear from God
You've been promised, we've been waiting

Welcome Holy Child
Welcome Holy Child

Hope that you don't mind our manger
How I wish we would have known
But long-awaited Holy Stranger
Make Yourself at home
Please make Yourself at home
Bring Your peace into our violence
Bid our hungry souls be filled
Word now breaking Heaven's silence

Welcome to our world
Welcome to our world

Fragile finger sent to heal us
Tender brow prepared for thorn
Tiny heart whose blood will save us
Unto us is born
Unto us is born
So wrap our injured flesh around You
Breathe our air and walk our sod
Rob our sin and make us holy

Perfect Son of God
Perfect Son of God
Welcome to our world

No comments: