BUT, at the beginning of this week, I got to see Chestnut for the first time via a sonogram while at my clinical rotation. Check this out!
![]() |
| Chestnut ultrasound at 9 weeks 2 days - measuring at 2.3cm |
Technically, this is what's going on this week:
- Chestnut is the size of a grape - ~0.90 inches and 0.07 ounces.
- The fingers and toes are well defined. Cartilage and bones begin to form.
- The upper lip as well as the nose tip is being formed.
- The tongue begins to develop and the larynx is developing.
- The eyelids are developed, although they stay closed for several months.
- The main construction of the heart is complete.
- Weight: 116 lb (+3)
- Belly circumference: 31.0 in (+2.5)
- Boarded the vomit comet once this week (v3).
- So, I'm not sure why I am gaining weight. But I am. A lot of people have commented that my face looks thinner. Maybe that's the reflection of the fatigue.
- My belly is growing really fast! This week, I feel like maybe Chestnut has popped out of the pelvic bowl because I'm going to the bathroom less frequently at night.
- Foods that suck: all types of meat (incl. seafood), ginger, garlic, onion (cooked).
- Foods that are awesome: anything with ranch dressing, black beans, pickled foods to add variety to a meal, 炒年糕 (stir fried rice cake).
- My physical fatigue really translates to emotional and spiritual fatigue. I dread Wednesdays and Fridays - days that I am at home with Camille. I am so tired. I can't make food for her because everything makes me gag. I feel really bad for Camille.
- I realize that listeria is a big concern for pregnant women. But sometimes I just don't want to give a rip.
- Was this pregnancy planned? Well, we do want more than one child and we wanted our kids to be about 2 years apart. We weren't using contraception but we did not think I would be so fertile (although...I knew). So, a bit of a surprise. But make no mistake about it, friends: This child is loved and wanted and meant to be. When I break the news to some of my friends and family members, they express concern about how this would work in the scheme of finishing school (planned graduation date is end of Fall 2013). I do appreciate these concerns and, trust me, they're our concerns too. But as we have had more time to come to grasp with this news and have embraced our child more, it sometimes stings to get a sense that people think Chestnut is a mistake. There is no mistake.
*This blog entry was written in stealth mode...before the news went public.

2 comments:
Congratulations!
I LOL'd at "anything with ranch dressing." Too funny.
I am really enjoying your chronicles, Bao! Hope you start to feel better soon!
Post a Comment