Thursday, January 06, 2011

Rice: The vintage granola

Today is my mom's 68th birthday.

Recently becoming a mom myself, my appreciation for my mother has grown tremendously.  I love and respect her more than ever before.  Those things that we consider nowadays as "granola parenting," my mom did 'em all:
  • Natural child birth ... all seven kids!  She was the birthing champion!!
  • Breastfeeding ... every single kid.
  • Co-sleeping ... in the summer, she would co-sleep with all seven kids.  Haha!  It was the best!
  • Valuing baby's cry ... meaning, she never let any of us cry it out.
  • Cloth diapering ... she hand-washed and hang-dried them all!
  • Elimination communication ... all of us were potty trained very early.
  • Making your own baby food ... yeah, like feeding us whatever they were eating :)
  • Baby-wearing ... she didn't have slings or carriers.  She was the carrier.
Back in her day, it was not counter-cultural to do what she did.  But still, to go through seven kids having done what she did was amazing.  I need to add, though, that she had help from her family and community.  My aunt (her sister) was absolutely instrumental in parenting all of us.

See?  She was the original granola.  Rice.

I just want to say I LOVE MY MOM!  She's the best!!
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.5

No comments: