Sunday, November 14, 2010

Camille's third month: A review

This month has been marked by (1) regular spit ups, (2) a routine, and (3) smiles!

Camille has been spitting up (immediate regurgitation of milk) on a nearly daily basis starting on October 16th.  It was projectile...but it wasn't vomit; just stuff that she had just ingested.  The regurged stuff would have some phlegm in it and Camille would be totally happy after throwing up.  And then she'd want to feed again.

Camille has a nice little routine going this month.  Being so delirious with sleep deprivation, I didn't pay much attention to any patterns in Camille's day.  But I saw our friend Krista keep a little log of her son's activities on the white board and I thought maybe I would do the same to see if I can see any patterns in Camille's day.  And the pattern that I found (at least true for 90% of this month) was:
  • Sleeps at 11pm (yes, she's a night owl just like her parents!)
  • Wakes at 6am to feed, then goes back to sleep
  • Wakes at 10:30, poops, feeds at 11 and stays up
  • By around 1pm, she gets restless and wants to feed again so she can nap
  • Naps for 2-3 hours
  • Wakes up cranky and wants to feed right away, then poops
  • Then the time between her nap and her bedtime is a little variable...usually including a couple of 1-hour naps around 5 and 8
I didn't mean to set a schedule for her.  This was just the routine I noticed.  It's weird.  Because Chin & I are not routine people.  Yet Camille is :)

Finally, Camille is smiling a lot more this month.  The smiles are not always predictable, but they are definitely more obvious and frequent.


The specs
As of October 13th (2-month check-up)
  • Weight: 9 lb 7 oz (25th percentile)
  • Height: 22.5 in (75th percentile)
  • 14.5 in (10-25th percentile)
Milestones & important events
October 17 - Lots of family and friends came together to meet Camille and celebrate this little girl.

October 25 - I caught a cold :(  Lemme tell ya, it isn't easy taking care of a newborn when one isn't 100%, let alone a new mom who is already functioning at 32% prior to the cold.  I really needed some help so that I could take some peaceful naps.  And that is why...

October 27 - My first solo interstate drive with Camille down to Portland to surprise my parents (she slept the whole way!).  Chin carpooled down with some Rideshare folks on Friday and we drove back together that Sunday.  We were away from Chin for two days.  It felt like forever (to Chin & me anyway)!!  It was a good trip because I got to sleep a lot and kind of get over my cold.  Camille also caught a mild version of that cold (thanks to the antibodies in breast milk) but she recovered quickly.

November 3 - With Camille in tow, I managed to go grocery shopping and made a pot of Bún Bò Huế...which is no small feat, lemme tell ya!



November 8 - Camille and I made another trek down to Portland.  This time, we were down there for 4 days and 3 nights...and I drove with just Camille both ways.  Once again, she was a champ and slept the whole way.

November 11 - We took Camille to her (and our) first UW women's volleyball game!

We did put pants on her, thank you Freakout Moms
November 13 - My parents babysat Camille over Skype while I took a shower. :)

Favorite part...
Seeing Camille's smiles get bigger and more frequent :)

Least favorite... 
Being away from family.  I really wish we lived closer to family.  I love being with Camille all day.  But it does get pretty lonely.

Shout outs
...To Joel+Lisa+Kaden To for lending us a UW onesie and a swing set for Camille!

...To my mom for taking care of Camille while I took lots of naps to recover from my cold.

...Once again, to my sister GT who gave me her old iPhone 3G.  It has been so nice to have this gadget handy when I'm breastfeeding (and Camille is sleep-nursing)!!

...To myself, for winning so many diapers!  Hehe :P

Camille is modeling a Thirsties Duo Diaper
Discoveries & reflections
...I pray with Camille everyday.  I feel like I am praying more now than I ever did when I was pregnant.  I love it.  It's so sweet!

I love this girl a lot
...I remember being really mean to Camille when she was a lot younger.  I can't imagine how I can be that mean to her!  I love her so much more now than I ever did before.

...The decision to take time off from school until next June = one of the best decisions I have ever made!

...I love it when Camille smiles while she is sleep-nursing.  I captured a photo of this but I'm not going to post it on here because it shows my boob.  Thanks.
 
...I need to be more careful of my posture when I breastfeed.  I am developing the bad habit of slouching & I'm paying for it in an achy lower back. :(

...Some days, having showered is a big accomplishment.

...Grocery shopping and cooking with an infant in tow is an art that takes experience and finesse.  I have a long ways to go!

...I think sleep deprivation can really lord over new parents' lives.  From the ability to stay sane to the choices we make for our family to how we interact with others, the tiredness we experience as a result of lack of sleep has a tremendous effect on nearly every aspect of our daily functions.  For instance, while I was pregnant and naive (or rather, better rested), I would fantasize about the bliss of co-sleeping and never having to even think about letting my child cry it out.  Being driven by the lack of sleep, I often think, "To hell with this attachment parenting crap!  Cry it out!  See if I care!"  I really don't want to make these important parenting decisions based on sleep.  God help me!

...It is insulting to a new mother for someone (usually the new father) to do simple arithmetic with how many hours of sleep she has had.  Please do not suggest that, "You slept for 3 hours, and then fed the baby for 30 minutes, and then slept another 3 hours, and then woke up to feed for 30 minutes, and then slept for another 2 hours...so you slept for 8 hours!"  No, no, no, no, no.  New motherhood defies simple arithmetic.  You're wrong.  Go back to school.

I brought Camille over to our bed to snuggle with Chin before he had to go to work
...I kind of hate to admit this, but some days, I just look forward to Chin coming home.  Heck, who am I kidding.  EVERYDAY I just look forward to Chin coming home!

...I wish we lived closer to family.

Our 3-month-old girl

No comments: